Re: Weak workers comp or Tea Time for Turtles

This forum can be viewed but not be posted to. Visit our new one here.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Lewis on February 25, 1999 at 23:40:36:

In Reply to: Re: Weak workers comp posted by T. Urtle on February 25, 1999 at 22:26:19:

I don't question that SAIF is a well-managed company. I just don't know if working there is as a "cutting edge" career as say, fighting for injured workers'rights is, but if the SAIF web page is any indication of their compelling awesomeness it's no wonder their employees all visit the IWA Web page.
I couldn't find the aforementioned public records on SAIF at their web site. Maybe the Turtle would like to post them in a typical cost effective manner. I do agree that SAIF's mission is to serve the employer so be advised to post notices here on your own time.
There's also the question of who statistics serve. SAIF may be paying out more but wages have increased dramatically in Oregon over the last ten years. So that's no big deal.
I just found the DCBS Nov 98 Permanent Total Disabilities Statistics (www.cbs.state.or.us/external/imd) which show clearly that Permanent Total Disability awards went from 195 in 1988 to only 15 in 1997. Yet there are what 50,000 or 500,000 more workers today? Even if you assume that the workplace is safer now than ten years ago it doesn't explain this drop in PTD.
Changes in WC laws in 1990 are why SAIF can proudly thump it's chest.
I think Tom is on the right track on all of this and it's good to have him on the board.
Here's a statistic:
Of all the lobbyists I've heard speak in Salem only the SAIF lobbyist has an accent I can't place. He sounds British but he might be from the Land Down Under. I'd hate to think that an American citizen is out of work because of that guy.
"Hey Mate, put anotha' wooka' on the BaR-B."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]